4 killed as car goes off service drive onto I-94, shearing off cab of pickup

Four people were killed early this morning when a speeding car involved in a chase with another auto went airborne off a service drive onto eastbound I-94 in Detroit and sheared off the cab of a pickup truck, police said.

All three people inside the pickup were killed instantly and a passenger in the Chrysler 300 also died, said Sgt. Michael Woody, Detroit Police spokesman.

The car was speeding northbound on Hurlbut Street, on the city’s east side, around 2:30 a.m. when it went past the service drive, became airborne over the expressway embankment, landed on the eastbound truck on I-94 and then hit a median wall, Woody said.

“It’s almost like that car just drove off that cliff, basically at a high rate of speed,” Woody said.

He said the impact took off the cab of the truck, shearing it in half horizontally.

Woody said no names, ages or hometowns were being released pending family notification. Authorities still were trying to determine information about the pickup occupants. He said four females in the Chrysler are believed to be from the Detroit area.

Police are still piecing together what happened but said the driver of the Chrysler 300 is believed to be the girlfriend of the driver of another car that was pursuing it. The Chrysler was being chased before the crash and was possibly going as fast as 60-70 mph, police said.

It’s unclear why the car was being chased.

The driver of the Chrysler was hospitalized in critical condition and two other women who were riding in the car were listed in temporary serious condition at Detroit Receiving Hospital, Woody said.

The boyfriend, who was traveling with another man, was treated for his injuries and released and was detained for questioning by police. His passenger also sustained minor injuries. The car they were in hit the curb and almost launched into the air, but did not.

Police said the people in the truck were passing through Detroit on the expressway when the crash occurred and had nothing to do with what led up to it.

No charges had been filed in the the case Sunday afternoon.